Did you see that Barna published results of “The American Worldview Inventory 2022” on January 5th? You can read the article here: Barna: Thousands Of Pastors Have Become Leaders Of A Movement Away From God, Toward Narcissism | Harbingers Daily. If you don’t want to read it, here are some of the highlights, or lowlights, if that’s a word.
The survey was of “1000 Christian pastors across seven major groupings of denominations”. Here are some of the results:
- 37% of clergy have a Biblical worldview.
- 30% don’t believe their salvation is based on Christ alone.
- 39% of evangelical pastors reject absolute moral truth and think people determine their own truth.
- 38% don’t think human life is sacred.
- 37% say faith matters, but it doesn’t matter which faith.
- Only 6% of American adults actually have a Biblical worldview.
How is this a sign of the times? The Bible clearly states that a sign of the last days is a turning away/falling away/apostasy. The love of most will grow cold (Matt 24:12). Second Timothy 4:3-4 says,
“For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.”
Here are some other passages that you can look to for this topic: 2 Thess 2:3-4, 1 Tim 4:1-3, 2 Tim 3:1-5, 2 Pet 2:1 and Rev 2:4. The reason God has included all of these warnings about the coming apostasy is so that we will learn to love the truth and not be deluded (2 Thes 2:9-12).